Since version 0.36.0, Mixin started supporting a new feature, Disappearing messages, people could set a valid duration for each message, and this type of message will disappear after they are sent. It's an option for enforcing the Privacy of Mixin users.
This setting won't affect messages you previously sent or received in the chat. In an individual chat, users can turn disappearing messages on or off. Only the group admin/admins can change group settings to turn it on or off in a group chat.
How to set Disappearing messages?
- Choose a conversation and open the conversation settings.
- Choose a duration for disappearing messages, or you could customize the time and even turn it off.
- There's a notification for enabling/disabling disappearing messages back to the chat.
- When you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text becomes "Deleted Message" after the duration you select.
- If a disappearing message is forwarded to a chat with disabled disappearing messages, the forwarded message won't disappear.
- If a user switches on the backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message will be included in the backup. And it will be deleted after the duration you selected.
Please use disappearing messages with trusted contacts. Because the disappearing messages cannot protect privacy from the following situations:
- Forward or take a screenshot before the disappearing messages disappear.
- Copy-paste the content before messages disappear.
- Take a phone with other devices (camera or phone) before it disappears.